Incorrect data? Please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Basilica di Santa Croce (Church of the Holy Cross) is a Baroque church in Lecce, Apulia, Italy, completed in 1695. Walter VI of Brienne had founded in the current church's location a monastery in the 14th century. In 1549 a new church was begun, using, among the others, houses from Jews who had been ousted from Lecce in 1510. The construction dragged on for two centuries: in 1582 the lower façade had been finished, while the dome was completed in 1590. The portals were added starting from 1606, under the direction of Francesco Antonio Zimbalo. The church was completed by his successors Cesare Penna (upper façade and the rose window) and Giuseppe Zimbalo. © Wikipedia/tango7174