The construction of the building started immediately after the earthquake of 1693, and was completed in 1770. The facade is therefore a harmonious and homogeneous fusion of baroque and neo-classicism. It is sub-divided into two linear areas; the superior area, and the inferior area. It proposes four niches and two groups of four Corinthian pillars which create a contrast of light and shadow, thereby giving a splendid special dynamism. The prospect is completed by two bell-towers at the sides and a large, central facade, decorated by fourteen vases made of limestone, together with four statues. Inside, the Cathedral shifts towards the classical. The plan, in the shape of a latin cross, is made up of three aisles, with the central aisle being larger than the lateral ones. The church preserves the silver urn with relic of S. Corrado Confalonieri inside it. It also preserves a collection of rare manuscripts.