Incorrect data? Please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Santa Chiara is one of many new churches built after the city of Noto was destroyed by the earthquake of 1693. The church is constructed of a soft tufa stone native to the area, which in the sun is a beautiful golden color. Santa Chiara is across the street from the Monastery of Santissimo Salvatore. The original entrance to the church was on the north side, but when the street level was lowered, this entrance was no longer usable. Although the facade is planar and sober, it does use classical pilasters on the corners carried through two stories and capped with a very non-classical capital (see below). The block is topped with a kind of bell tower. The somberness of the facade is somewhat mitigated by the ornamental portal and central window with its elaborate floral surround and inventive pediment of sorts