Jesuit Mission of San José de Chiquitos

Phone: +591 63310165

Rating:

If you notice any incorrect data, please notify us at hi@itinari.com.

Description

Founded in 1698 by the Jesuits Fr. Felipe Suárez and Fr. Dionosio Ávila, the mission of San José de Chiquitos was the third mission built of those of the World Heritage Site. At first, the mission was inhabited by the Penoca tribe. The church was built between 1745 and 1760 by an unknown architect. It is built of stone, unlike other mission churches in the area which were built with local adobe and wood. The mission is one of four that remain in their original location. As of 2020, a mortuary chapel (1740), the church (1747), a bell tower (1748), a house for the priests (colegio) and workshops (both 1754) still exist, and were renovated by Hans Roth's restoration project between 1988 and 2003. Restoration efforts continue. © Zoomalmapa/VanesaZegada

Travel stories around Jesuit Mission of San José de Chiquitos

Places to visit around Jesuit Mission of San José de Chiquitos