Kayaköy, anciently known as Lebessos and Lebessus is a village 8 km south of Fethiye in southwestern Turkey. In Roman ancient times it was a Greek-speaking city in the Lycia province. Anatolian Greeks continued to inhabit the city until approximately 1922 when they either perished or fled to Greece. The townspeople were subsequently barred from returning by the 1923 Population exchange between Greece and Turkey. The ghost town, now preserved as a museum village, consists of hundreds of rundown but still mostly standing Greek-style houses and churches which cover a small mountainside and serve as a stopping place for tourists visiting Fethiye and nearby Ölüdeniz.