Incorrect data? Please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kuninkaansaari ("King's Island") was named after King Gustav III of Sweden. During the Crimean War in the mid-19th century, Russia, the new occupier of the island, built fortifications on it. Kuninkaansaari also provided the setting for one of the preludes to the Russian revolution, as mutineers shelled Suomenlinna from Vallisaari in 1906. A neck of land, much like a breakwater, provides a land connection from Vallisaari to Kuninkaansaari. ©luontoon.fi ©Pauliina_Flam