Incorrect data? Please notify us at email@example.com.
The catacombs of Paris, the term used to name the municipal waste, are originally part of the old underground quarries located in the 14th arrondissement of Paris of Paris, connected by galleries of inspection. They were transformed into a municipal ossuary at the end of the 19th century with the transfer of the remains of about six million people, evacuated from the various cemeteries in Paris until 1861 for reasons of public health. They then take the abusive name of "catacombs", analogously to the underground necropolises of ancient Rome, although they have never officially served as a burial place.