The need to have a theater to replace the wood, which was made ready in the halls of the Senate Palace, was strongly felt by the citizens, so that was begun in 1872, its construction entrusting the military engineer jobs Breda (in a city-arms military engineers had a strong role). It was built on the area from the killing of the church and monastery of the Annunciation and the Cattoloca the prince's palace. Also for the construction they were used materials left by the demolition of such buildings and the demilizione of the church of S. Andrea dei Teatini and St. James Church. But the sacred and the profane union did not help the building and, after much controversy, the continuation of the work was entrusted to the architect Damiani Almeyda On (author of the Politeama of Palermo). The theater, which could well accommodate 700 spectators, was inaugurated in the spring of 1897, with the representation of the "Gioconda" by Ponchielli and "Faust" by Gounod. Then the theater, in 1956, after the performance of "Il Trovatore" by Verdi, "La Boheme by Puccini," La Cavalleria Rusticana by Mascagni and of "I Pagliacci by Leoncavallo, dropped its curtain for today restorations not yet completed. The theater appeared outside with a porch, for the coach and with an architectural canton, with a niche at the base and crowned by an eagle (symbol of the city). Even today, theatrical masks and symbols of the muses adorn the façades of the building. Inside, a large lobby (lobby) gave access to the direction, in the cloakroom at the entrance of the auditorium, the coffee and, to the left and to the right of the stairs of the boxes. In the main room, with separate seating and places, they faced three tiers of boxes, the gallery with benches and a large stage, with its foyer, dressing rooms and an orchestra. In the main curtain, the curtain depicted a pastoral scene, inspired by the idylls of Theocritus, as well as the main vault was decorated.