The Roman bridge of Salamanca is a Roman bridge crossing the Tormes River on the banks of the city of Salamanca. The importance of the bridge as a symbol of the city can be seen in the first quartering of city's coat of arms (along with its stone bull-verraco. Has been known traditionally as puente mayor and as puente prinçipal (main bridge) which gives access to the southern part of the city. The bridge is presented in the 21st century as a result of several restorations, one of the disasters that most affected it was the Flood of San Policarpo (January 26's night) of year 1626. It is declared Artistic Historic Monument on June 3, 1931, and Bien de Interés Cultural since 1998.