From luxurious manor house to the rest house for Soviet KGB agents - the Užutrakis Manor has the spinning history of its own. Užutrakis Manor was built in 1902 and was owned by the Tyszkiewicz family till the beginning of World War II. Sandwiched between the lakes of Galvė and Skaistis, and behind the Trakai Castle, this manor house attracts visitors for the incredible surroundings and memorable sunsets.
Tyszkiewicz family, before World War II, owned many manors in various corners of Lithuania - from Palanga to Lentvaris. At that time, the Tyszkiewicz family was an influential noble family, with roots tracing back to the times of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The intelligent and wealthy family started to build the Užutrakis Manor at the end of the 19th century near Trakai town. The name of the mansion means "Behind Trakai" and, as suggested, from the terrace of the manor house, opens the incredible view of the Galvė Lake and Trakai Castle.
For planning the Užutrakis Manor landscape, the count Józef Tyszkiewicz and his wife Jadwiga, invited E. F. André, the French architect who designed parks of Palanga resort city. From the beginning, the E. F. André planned to create a water park; thus, the 20 artificial ponds were made. Unfortunately, until today, only one pond has survived. The road leading to the manor was called "The Potato Road" because of the food and other goods reaching the manor trough this road. Even the mansion was reachable through this road, but the owners of the house and their guests mostly used to arrive via water. The dances and music on the premises of the manor house stopped when World War II started, and the new owners took over. It was the time when the spinning history of the house began.
World War II in Lithuania started in 1939, and from that time, the newly established Soviet government nationalized the Užutrakis Manor. During the break from Soviets, with the German Nazi in charge, the mansion was owned by German fascists. After the war, the Užutrakis estate was in the hands of Soviets again. During the postwar period, the Užutrakis Manor served as a sanatorium for Soviet KGB agents. Later on, the mansion was used for the Pioneer Camp, the rest house and as the state's tourism base. Just after the independence was gained, the Trakai Historical Park took responsibility for managing the Užutrakis estate. The Trakai Historical Park management did a fantastic job, and thanks to it, almost destroyed mansion has been restored and reborn. The beauty of Užutrakis Manor and its surroundings hosts various art performances, concerts, seminars, and guests from all over the world.
If you walk around Trakai Castle, in the horizon you will see the small white mansion - that's the stunning Užutrakis Manor. Take some time and visit the lovely villa as well, remember its spinning history and enjoy the beauty of the sunset from the terrace of the manor.
Did you like the travel story?
Get more! Subscribe to our monthly inspiration newsletter.