If you ever thought that Greece is a destination only worth-visiting during summertime, well, I’m here with this series of pages to prove you definitely wrong.
Even though the majority of people have combined Greece with the idyllic blue beaches, the never ending shining sun and the high temperatures, as a Greek and a winter lover, I gotta admit & present that Greece is something way more than that. We actually have a great winter too! It is true, that the the tireless Mediterranean sun doesn’t stop to shine even in winter; however there are multiple cold winter destinations awaiting to be discovered and to steal your heart!
Idyllic “White” landscapes, ski-resorts, picturesque mountainous villages, natural winter pools, mystical and mythological caves, hidden winter gems and generally extremely beautiful destinations are about to be presented, so stay tuned!
In this series of pages, I’ll guide you through some of my favourite winter destinations in Greece that you’re probably unaware of their existence. My goal is to make you forget about planning your “upcoming summer holiday” and to challenge you to pack your bags for a different & unique winter holiday in Greece! I’ll do my best to be convincing! So here we go!
If you’re a ski or snowboard fan then you’ll definitely appreciate the suggestions that follow. A lot of people doubt the existence of Ski resorts in Greece and many times throughout my life I ‘ve been asked and challenged to answer the same question ; “How come there are snow resorts in Greece? Does it even snow there?”
And the answer is yes, it does snow and yes, it does snow a lot. What makes Greece unique is the variety of altitudes that can be found within the country. Yes we do have amazing beaches and a loot of islands but also we do have a lot of mountains and high-altitude destinations, that normally are not advertised that much so you’ve no idea about the natural beauty hidden in those.
1) Vasilitsa Ski Resort ; The ski center is located in the middle of Pindos approximately 42km away from Grevena and 417km from Athens. The ski resorts currently has 5 lifts and 16 ski trails. The quality and quantity of snowfall at Vasilitsa allow for many off-piste routes. It is the only Greek ski resort with superb black-pine trees surrounding the ski trails.
2) Kaimaktsalan Ski Resort; Kaimáktsalan ski resort occupies the northeastern slope of Mt. Voras, from an altitude of 2,480m, where the highest lift carries the skiers, down to 2,050m, where the luxury chalet is located. It is equipped with 6 ski lifts and 13 ski runs, 15 km in total length and 4 ski trails of 3,250m in length. The snowboard fun park invites snowboarders, free skiers and connoisseurs of the snowboard scene, whereas in the snow tubing park everyone can just have fun!
3) 3-5 Pigadia Ski Resort; Due to its excellent infrastructure, 3-5 Pigadia ski center, offers, except winter sports, a variety of activities (hiking, trekking, mountain biking, hang gliding, paragliding). It has also been established as preparedness center for many sports clubs, federations and national teams.
4) Arahova Ski Resort; When the most dazzling winter destination in Greece is comprised of the best ski resort in Greece and a stone-built village with a cosmopolitan ambience, then your trip is bound to be unique. Mt Parnassos and the Livadi plateau: fun in the snow and the perfect winter holiday destination.
5) Pisoderi Ski Resort; The ski center is located on Mount Verno, and currently has five lifts and ten trails. The summit of the resort is 1939m above sea level, with a total vertical drop about 420m.
Like this story?
Get more! Subscribe to our monthly inspiration newsletter.