The National Archaeological Museum of Paestum is one of the most important archaeological museums in Southern Italy. It is within the ancient city and is organized to narrate, through the exhibits, the history of Paestum, first Greek colony with the name of Poseidon and then Lucan and Roman city, and the surrounding area. Founded by the Greeks around 600 BC, the city of Poseidon, named in honor of Poseidon, god of the sea, between 400 and 273 BC was occupied by the Italic population of Lucan, and in 273 BC It became a Roman colony under the name of Paestum The rediscovery of Paestum dates back to 1762, when it was built modern road that runs through the still. The oldest evidence of this presence have been found in urban sanctuaries, in the tombs identified in the districts of Arcioni and Pond, north-west and north-east of the city and the sanctuary of Argive Hera at the mouth of the Sele. In the city, from its very beginning, were distinct in the central belt of public use areas with different functions: two sacred areas, the northern and the southern sanctuary, centered the political space of the agora on its southern edge is set the Roman era Forum.